The developers from DotEmu announced that they finished working on their latest port, R-Type II, a bit earlier than expected and that this classic arcade shooter is now available on the Play Store worldwide.
This huge arcade title that was originally developed by IREM in 1989, became instant classic across multiple platforms including the Amiga and the Atari ST. This sequel of the original game introduced new weapons, levels and increased difficulty, features that secured its place as one of the best 2-D side-scrolling shooters in video game history. Now, 15 years later, we get to ignite the engines of our beloved R-9C yet again, but this time on our portable Android devices.
All the original levels (six of them) are included in this release (including the six bosses), all the weapons and power ups plus 2 additional weapons (Search Laser and Shotgun Laser). There are 3 difficulty levels to choose from: Unlimited (unlimited lives), Normal (just like the original) and Insane (good luck with that one). You can choose between the original graphics and enjoy the game just as you did years ago, or enable the texture filtering and the scanlines options to make it look smoother. Other notable features are the auto-fire option and the aspect ratio selector that allows you to play the game in fullscreen or to keep the original screen size from the arcades.
Most arcade ports nowadays include at least 2 different control methods, the virtual stick/d-pad and touch enabled controls that usually fail to provide adequate experience. Luckily, R-Type II kicks it up a notch by allowing you to fully customize the button positions and find the most comfortable layout to play with. Finally, R-Type II also supports external controllers such as the MOGA Wireless, the Nvidia Shield and the Xperia Play and more. Support for generic Bluetooth HID and generic USB gamepads was not mentioned in the official game features listed, or at least it wasn’t clearly stated. R-Type II is already available on the Play Store and can be yours for about $2.0 (price may vary), offers Google game services support (achievements and leaderboards) and requires device running Android 2.3.3 or later.[tab:Download]
• Unlock six levels each with its own unique boss.
• Upgrade to new weapons, power-ups, and attachments to fight wave of enemies.
• Keep original graphics or choose improved ones thanks to filter and scanline options
• Choose between three difficulty settings: unlimited (unlimited lives), normal (same as original) & insane (more challenge!).
• Two control modes: Touch and virtual D-Pad
• Customizable controls
• Auto Fire ON/OFF
• Available in 10 languages: English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Japanese, Korean, Chinese and Portuguese.
• Play in full-screen, or keep the game’s original screen ratio
• Google Play Game Services: 11 unlockable achievements + online leaderboards (normal & insane modes only)
• Compatible with the MoGa Wireless Game Controllers, NVIDIA SHIELD, Xperia Play & more.
• Available on M.O.J.O.
• Tablet support