After getting our hopes up with the announcement that “Colin McRae Rally will be out soon on Android devices” back in December, Thumbstar Games (the company responsible for publishing the game on Android) went kind of silent on the matter. But now, out of the blue, Colin McRae Rally appeared on the Android Play Store, ready to satisfy (almost) all your rallying needs for a small fee.
Colin McRae Rally is not exactly a brand new game. It was originally released on the iOS platform 8 months ago, and what we get today on Android is pretty much the same. Subaru Impreza, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI, Lancia Stratos and Colin McRae’s Ford Focus are the same 4 cars we get to drive across the 30 rally stages with a combined distance of over 130 km. The control schemes Colin McRae Rally offers are (supposedly) better than what we usually get from other racing games on Android, but they can only go so far before hitting the brick-wall imposed by the limitations of the touch-screen technology. Sadly, couple of users reported that external game controllers (Moga, Xbox, PS3, iPEGA) are not supported at the moment.
There are multiple game modes including quick race, single stages, rallies and an extensive Championship where you can top the leaderboards and be the best Android rally driver in the world. Colin McRae Rally comes with a price tag of $4.99 which is almost double from what iOS users pay to get the same ($2.99). On the bright side, there are no in-app purchases and no locked content inside. One feature we would really like to see is a demo version of the game, where users can test if everything checks out without being stressed by the 15 minute refund timer ticking in the back.[tab:Download] [tab:Game Features]
• Hit the dirt with an upgraded edition of classic genre-defining rally driving game experience
• 30 unique rally stages with over 130km of track
• Real world locations, with varied track surfaces including Australia, Greece and Corsica
• Legendary rally cars including:
o Ford Focus
o Subaru Impreza
o Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI
o Lancia Stratos
• Dynamic damage model – windows shatter, bodywork crumples and falls off
• Expert car handling and physics model, based on the original model developed alongside Colin McRae
• Authentic co-driver and race notes, written and voice by professional rally co-driver Nicky Grist
• Multiple gameplay modes – quick race, single stages, rallies and an extensive Championship