It’s finally here! The final Android version of Baldur’s Gate Enhanced Edition appeared on the Play Store today, bringing Android specific optimizations, high-res fonts, overhauled user interface and much more. From now on, you can take this legendary RPG and carry it in your pocket or backpack wherever you go.
After facing a numerous development-related problems and an uncertain future, the Android developers from Beamdog pulled it through and came up with a fully functional, touchscreen optimized version of the game that is now compatible with current gen Android devices. What we have here is the original game, plus two expansions bundled inside the main app, Tales of the Sword Coast and The Black Pits. Assemble your party and start exploring the far reaches of the Sword Coast, fight the evil, make some profit and uncover the truth of your unknown past.
Set in the fictional world of Ed Greenwood’s Forgotten Realms campaign, Baldur’s Gate follows the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (AD&D) 2nd edition rule set. The original game was released in 1998 (developed by BioWare, published by Interplay) and received critical acclaim for revitalizing the computer RPG game genre. The Android version is pretty much the same, but it does include platform specific optimizations that will make the gameplay much more convenient on touchscreen enabled phones and tablets, including the dynamic zoom feature and all the one-touch user interface enhancements.
Baldur’s Gate Enhanced Edition can be downloaded only from the Play Store for $9.99. Granted, it may sound a bit expensive, but don’t forget that this game offers 60 hours of gameplay from the base game only, plus the two expansions included. If that’s not enough to keep you busy, you can purchase additional content from the in-app store, including new expansions and never-before-seen character portraits drawn by Icewind Dale artist Jason Manley. Those IAP’s are completely optional and won’t affect the main storyline in any way. If you need help, walkthroughs, tips or have something you wish to share, you can join the community forum located here. Keep in mind that this game requires Android device running version 4.0 (ICS) or later, with a 5″ or larger screen.
[tab:Download Baldur’s Gate Enhanced Edition]
* Brothers Lost: Lend your aid to Rasaad yn Bashir, the Sun Soul monk, as he scours the Cloud Peaks in search of his lost brother.
* Neera and the Red Wizards: Save the wild mage Neera from the cruel machinations of Thay’s dreaded Red Wizards.
* Path of the Bloodied: Join the blackguard Dorn Il-Khan in taking revenge against those who betrayed him in Luskan.
* Gallery of Heroes: Reimagine your character with eleven never-before-seen character portraits from acclaimed Icewind Dale artist Jason Manley!
* New professionally recorded voice sets to choose from to further customize your character.